Have you ever wanted to change jobs, but you are not clear on how to actually think about doing this? You don’t want to make a bad decision in your career. But there are two basic reasons why people usually move on from their current job. They are either being pulled from their job by a better opportunity. Or they are being pushed out of their job because something doesn’t feel right.
Here are some examples of what I mean:
Pushed out of your job:
- You are unhappy with how your boss treats you.
- You don’t like your day-to-day responsibilities.
- The commute is no longer doable.
- There is no room for advancement at the company.
- You want to be paid more money, but that is unlikely to happen.
- An event happened that was the “straw that broke the camel’s back.”
Pulled away from your job:
- Someone recruits you to come to their new company.
- You want to find a job that is a match with your degree.
- You are moving and need to find a job in your new city.
- You identified an opportunity to transition to a new industry.
- You wish to move to a sector of the economy that is thriving, in spite of the impact of COVID-19.
What’s your next step?
- Consider your current situation and why it is no longer working for you.
- Explore how making some different career choices would improve things.
- Determine what you must do to find those opportunities.
- How urgent is this? Is this a new problem, or something you’ve been contemplating for some time?
Once you’ve determined if you’re being pushed or pulled out of your job (or maybe a little of each), you can take the necessary steps to fix the situation by finding a job that is a perfect match with your ambitions and skills. It might be a good idea to find someone who will be an excellent sounding board to think this through. For example, a career coach like me! I’m trained and experienced to help you make some smart career choices.
If you’d like a free consultation to talk about why you want to leave your current job and move onto greener pastures, contact me today. No matter of you are being pushed or pulled out of your current job, it’s time to head out and land the position you’ve always wanted!