Right now, COVID-19 is impacting every part of our economy. Some industries are doing very well; others are just trying to stay afloat. It’s the same situation at home, as child care is currently a significant issue for parents. And nobody knows when this situation might get better.
So, as a coach and a resume writer, how do I give proper guidance to my clients about their career plans and job search during this crisis? I actually do have a specific approach:
The economy may be out of our control as individuals. But we have a choice on how we respond as individuals.
- What can happen if you “act as if” the economy healthy and the job market is strong?
- What can happen if you “act as if” you will get a good job fairly quickly at the salary you want?
- What can happen if you “act as if” you will make the career change you want?
When you “act as if,” the importance of being very smart, strategic, and focused is front and center. I don’t have my head in the sand about what’s going on today. But when working with clients, I basically ignore the economy as it is and focus on each client separately. I want the impulse to “act as if” to become action.
- How can you figure out the next steps in your career or job search?
- Are your resume and LinkedIn profile ready to go for an unexpected opportunity? It is hard to “act as if” if these documents are not up-to-date.
- Can you “act as if” developing a job search strategy and action plan will lead you to your next job?
- Can you “act as if” you can ace an interview because you are properly prepared?
So, why is this frame of mind necessary? Because it works! Some of my clients are currently landing new jobs. The process of looking for a new job is actually the same for both good and bad economies. It sounds crazy, but it’s true!
The best thing to do right now is to “act as if” things are normal. But you must follow that by taking specific action and staying focused. Be sure to get support from people in your circle of friends, family, colleagues, or even a career coach!
I have helped people get jobs for 20 years, through good times and bad. So, if you would like to talk about how you can land a new job and advance your career during this crisis, please feel free to sign up for a FREE consultation with me today. I can’t wait to talk with you about how to move forward!